View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 03:43 PM

I have a method that allows me to wax only 3 to 4 times a year, with my '04 C320 in Bordeaux Red (which I mention as results differ with different paint used in different years, and different colors.) Starting with a clean car, I first apply one of those "nano technology" products (NXT, Ultra Gloss, Nano wax). These really seal up the paint/clearcoat, and give a very hard, glossy shine. But the shine is so hard (and brittle) that If I stop there I'll get micro scratches in the polish finish (not the clearcoat). To prevent this, I then a apply a very thin coat of non -abrasive pure carnauba paste wax.

To preserve things, I use very little car wash soap, and wash with one of those boar's hair brushes on a pole with water that flows to the bristles. This removes little, if any wax. After drying, I wipe down with a detailing spray. When the detailing spray won't restore all the shine, it is time to wax again. But in fact, if the car is only dusty (common here in Oklahoma) I just use a California Duster, and that's it.

Wehn I re-wax, I first inspect the finish for "grainy areas" of contaminants, and use claybar to remove them. Then I repeat the process in the first paragraph above.

Thanks,
Richard