View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch
And then the bad part about ordering the key....I have to drive an hour to show them my drivers license before they will order the key....then it comes in over night and I drive another hour....so 4 hours of driving to get a $28 key.
You only need to make the drive once. Explain your situation to them. Ask them to order the key using the VIN you supply over the phone. Tell them that you'll provide your proof of ownership (title/registration/license... what ever they require) when you come in to pick up the key. They'll probably insist that you pay for it in advance with a credit card. (If they're still unwilling, then fax them the proof of ownership when you order, and back it up with the original document(s) when you come in. These guys really need to work on their problem solving skills!)

If it were me, I'd order two... in fact that's exactly what I did when I bought my Benz. I refuse to own any vehicle for which I have fewer than 3 keys: One for me, one for my wife, and one extra that hangs on the hook at home. That way when we have to change cars (for maintenance, etc.) neither of us accidentally drives off leaving the other stranded. Another benefit: since we both have keys to all three vehicles, if she locks her keys in one of the cars, I only have to drive to where she is to use my key to bail her out -- I don't have to drive home first to get the proper key.

In my humble opinion, it's $28 well spent.

Jeff Pierce

Current Vehicles:
'92 Mercedes 190E/2.3 (247K miles/my daily driver)
'93 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon (263K miles/a family truckster with spunk)
'99 Kawasaki Concours
Gravely 8120
Previous Vehicles:
'85 Jeep CJ-7 w/ Fisher plow (226K miles)'93 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon
'53 Willys-Overland Pickup
'85 Honda 750F Interceptor
'93 Nissan Quest
'89 Toyota Camry Wagon
'89 Dodge Raider
'81 Honda CB 750F Super Sport
'88 Toyota Celica
'95 Toyota Tacoma