View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Dieseldiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlimq
MB rotors were soft to reduce chance of cracking. To match that rotor,
MB chose pads to match such rotors, and it happened that the pads produced much brake dust. D-Chrysler did not recommend ceramic pads.

I read this at a web page that contains talks by big 3's at conference. I copied and pasted the content mercedesshop forum, but I forgot which post it was.
I did some searching, found that the cracking is mostly occuring due to poor quality of drilled rotors. to quote BrianH:
"Yep, that'd be because they are not drilled. Porsche only uses cast holes. Drilled rotors are bad.....very bad!
True, Porsche does cast their stock rotors so the holes don't weaken the molecular integrity of the metal. The new Carrera GT and Enzo use ceramic rotors that are drilled, not cast but that's a whole different world. After-market Zimmermans (which I use for racing) are all drilled with chamfered edges to relieve structural stress. As long as the holes don't cut into the veins of the center venting there won't be any cracking. I have seen cheapo (APC) drilled rotors on Hondas that have cracked, but I think that matches the cracked bondo on their bumpers nicely."

Meanwhile my ATE slotted rotors and Akebono ceramic pads keep on performing precisely, quietly and very smoothly and almost ZERO dust