View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy300Dturbo
123 turbodiesels were not available in sedan or coupe form ANYWHERE other than the USA and Japan. The S123 was the ONLY 123 equipped with the turbo 617 outside of the USA.
S123? Ahhhh, Yep! the Estate/Wagon (T-Modell, Baureihe S 123). You are 100% correct. 617.952 engines were available (outside USA & Japan) on 300TD-T's... like mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixto
Alfie, does your TD have EGR? That's another thing that suggests to me that this is not a factory turbo. If Euro 603.96s don't have EGR, I doubt 617s would.

I've been in a 300TDt outside the US and it wasn't a US spec car.

Sixto
95 S420
87 300SDL

Sixto: My car is a European-version 300TD-T. It is NOT a US-spec car. Euro-spec 617.952 do not have to be equivalent to US-spec versions when it pertains to emission requirements. My VIN/chassis numbers translate fine through the Russian website as well on the EPC database: VIN Decoded

It didn't have an EGR at first, but it was retrofitted with an "EGR/Pump Recal" by BEHR automotive in Conshohocken, PA (the testing lab was in Lansdale, PA) back when the original owner imported it in the US in 1/6/84 with Customs Entry No. 822717 through the Port of NY. I have copies of all the records performed by BEHR (including HC CO NOx Evap Part testing/validation). Back in 1984-85, the EPA was located at 6 World Trade Center - the EPA Chief for Investigations/Imports Section - Manufacturers Operations Division would have the final documented approval and release of bond on imported cars that have passed EPA federal emmision requirements. I have all records to validate my car's import status, EPA approval, Behr testing results with data, and as well as its Turbodiesel (Engine #617.952) authenticity as an original factory car. The original previous (elderly) owner of my 300TD-T was very meticulous and kept ALL records of the car since new... He even kept a diary for the car! - I was simply amazed on how well the car has been documented. He passed away recently but bless his soul for taking care of this fine example of a GERMAN w123 turbodiesel wagon loaded with rare options/goodies...

FWIW, read up on Michael Rohde/Jens-Peter Sirup's recently released "Mercedes-Benz W123" German book and you will also discover other rare options, models, factory data, production details, and lots of valuable info (such as turbodiesel for Euro-spec wagons)... ISBN 3-89880254-X. I beilieve there has been a recent 2005 release so the ISBN may have been updated/modified. Google it if you're interested/curious.

Last edited by thebenzbar; 07-26-2005 at 09:53 PM.