View Single Post
Old 08-06-2005, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooooth
I would like to learn more about this wax issue.... Although I have done a fair amount of research - mostly(but not all) towards a 2 tank system. This is the first I have seen it.

I am curently running a 25% blend WVO/Dino and do not plan on going any higher.

Thank You

Stephen
I'm running about the same blend as you. This would be a "northern climate" blend.

The hazard of WVO causing wax to separate from the Diesel fuel when the two are blended together was brought up on the infopop/biodiesel forum by a real unfortunate guy who had this happen to his Ford 7.3 litre. As I remember, he was running 60% WVO, and did a LOT of driving, and his truck was essential to his job. The wax gummed up everything and left him stranded.

I suppose the amount of driving doesn't matter- if the wax is going to separate, it would happen in the tank, unless fuel agitation caused by motion is a factor. The fact that he was mixing considerably more WVO than Diesel may be a big factor- we're using a lot less, so it may be a lot less likely to happen.

It was recommended by someone that naptha fuel (the old fashioned Coleman camp stove white gasoline) readily disolves this wax, so it should be part of the mix. I have taken this advice and use 1 litre of naptha for every 16 litres of WVO. I am using the naptha instead of RUG. The acetone in the above recipe would provide the same benefit I would think.

I am sure that nobody knows for certain yet all the facts about the wax separation. There are other concerns hotly discussed on WVO forums also that I am concerned about for long term use. One is that WVO contains stuff that simply cannot be filtered out- mainly starches, sugars and acids associated with whatever was fried in it. This is not just of concern to blenders- in fact it is more a concern to those running 100% veggie. Some say this stuff will solidify on the injectors and piston rings because of the heat and pressure (words used- "coking", "polymerization").

For me it's still science. I'm doing it, but in spite of the suspected risks. And the risks are still "suspected" at this point. I don't think anybody can say with absolute authority that WVO is dangerous to your engine because...

For me, it's been three months, several thousand miles and so far so good. But this by no means eases my mind that WVO is absolutely safe.

Dave
1976 300D