View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 11:42 AM
LarryBible

I am not an automatic transmission fan of any sort. I even have a manual in my 300E. I would not have bought one with an automatic.

That said, in order to understand how to keep an a/t alive you must understand what kills it. What kills it is HEAT! The normal operating temperature for ATF is about 170 degrees F. For every 10 degrees above that temperature the transmission fluid life is CUT IN HALF! In other words, if your normal atf change interval is 30,000 miles and your transmission fluid temp runs at 180 F instead of 170 F then you should be changing the fluid at 15,000 mile intervals. If the temp is 190 F then you should be changing it at 7,500 mile intervals and on and on.

Unless you are pulling a trailer in hot weather, or have other problems that cause overheating, you are probably not going above 170 F. Remember though, if you are running hotter engine temps it effects atf temp because the atf cooler is in the radiator.

For a/t it definitely pays to change it often, but in the case of an a/t, DON'T change it hot or you'll get burned.

Good luck,