View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 02:35 AM

That is a tough thing to do, turn the heater on, in the middle of the summer with a Mercedes Benz. The car should likely be looked at by a mechanic. My 560 SEC holds beautifully on temperature but my 380 SL will warm up with the ambient temperature up. With the 380SL I took it to my mechanic when I noticed it get near the temp red line but not quite. He found the auxiliary fan was not coming on. Then he did a neat thing. He unhooked the two wires that supply the power for the auxiliary fan and attach to the A/C dryer. This little switch was not closing to turn the auxiliary fan on. He said he would order a switch and then came the good part. He took a yellow plastic fuse ( like most cars use ) and hooked it across the two wires that connected to the switch. The auxiliary fan runs now when ever the engine runs. For the plus 95 degree days we have here I appreciate the auxiliary fan running constantly, the engine temperature is lower so I told him to be in no hurry the get the replacement switch. In fact when I do replace it maybe still in the summer I will use the fuse jumper. It just seems like it is nice treatment to the engine and my mileage has improved by a mpg or so.
The clutch on the mechanical fan may be an issue too if the car is not cooling. I read that after driving in 95 degree city traffic you should not be able to turn the fan blade by hand ( engine off of course. )
'97 Ford Taurus Wagon 225,000 miles Intense Black "Batmobile"
'91 560 SEC Ice Blue Metallic "Big Benz"
'84 380 SL Astral Silver "Pretty Girl"
MBCA member
Chance favors the prepared mind.