View Single Post
Old 08-17-2005, 02:27 PM
SEL captain

1986 300sel low idle

Hi there, I'm sorry if this issue has been discussed before, but I've been searching this forum for hours to get an answer, so, I decided to launch a new thread...

My european 1986 300sel has a problem. My idle is too low, it is sitting at around 750 rpm, but when shifted in D or R, the idle goes down to about 500 or even lower and provides an annoying trembling sensation. When running on LPG (Liquid Propane Gas) instead of gasoline, the rpms go even lower, but that's normal and I think this shouldn't be discussed right now. The car accelerates fine and fires properly so I don't think ignition is a problem.

I read some posts about the idle control valve (ICV) , so when idling, I removed the wires going to the valve, and the idle dropped (instead of going up, which I've read and now believe it should do).

Is there a way to manually increase the idling speed, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance !

PS If some of you are interested in some pictures of my euro '86 sel, just shout and I'll post some.

PPS I've bought the car just over a month ago, I fell in love watching it standing for sale on a driveway, the car has acted as mentioned since I've acquired it.