View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 06:40 AM

fitters

The main problem today is that a lot of so called mechanics are really fitters, too young and lacking in years of experience. Change whatever the manual says ‘could’ be the problem for a new one, if that doesn't work guess and change something else. A TRUE mechanic should know his cars especially if it's a one make garage like MB, and be able to diagnose within 90% what the problem is without even looking at the car and he should be able to "mend" things too rather than throw expensive parts at the problem, but that was in days of old when you had to earn the title "mechanic" and it had some respect. These days a year at part time school and everyone’s an expert, NOT! Describe a problem with an air-cooled VW and I'll tell you the problem and if possible I can repair or even make the part, but I am nearly 60 and have 40 years at it, that's the difference, sometimes age is a bonus. Find someone who been working on these cars for the past 20 years and you should have it licked! Don’t ask me though, I’m new to CIS and my 16V is dead too.