View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 01:09 AM
Newfound benz lover.

Talking New 1972 MB 280se 4.5 in my garage, have many questions about it.

I just picked up a 72 280se 4.5 with 68k miles on it. The car is in great running/driving condition, but the exterior and interior are pretty worn. All the chrome is intact, and very minor rust for the age. Its my first MB and im 23 years old. I plan on cleaning up the car to make it a decent car, but not looking for show quality. My main concern for starters is a gas smell coming from under the hood, i see no signs of leaks anywhere, but it has a very distinct raw fuel smell when running.

Also the power locks dont work, 3 of the power windows dont work, and none of the dash lights work. The Gear selector guage doesnt move with the shifting of gears, and the climate controls levers are broken off(i have the replacement parts to fix these). I would like to fix most of the problems, and was curious as to where the best places are to get parts, and to find information on repairs. I'm a pretty handy person when it comes to cars, but ive never dealt with MB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, also any good sources or links to pages with info. I could also probably use good interior parts. I will hopefully get some pics up of this new addition, but i can tell you it will be a pretty big project, although i do believe it will be rewarding in the end.