View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 08:48 PM

97 S320 electrical problem

I finally got around to taking my Benz to a shop in order to fix a "smoking" passenger side power mirror. It works but smokes because there are a couple of wires touching and it blows the fuse. That biodegradable wiring issue?. Not really a big deal except that I cant use my memory seats because of it (controls side mirrors too). I'm thinking a mechanic can use some of that shrink wrap and just fix it. The place I brought it to says it needs a whole new mirrow assembly plus paint and a new wiring harness even though it all works till the smoke starts appearing. Price to fix is about $900 with new side mirror housing repainted to match. The guy is telling me that it may need a new motor as well. I feel like I'm being shafted here. Is this problem really as complicated as the mechanic says it is?. He didn't even look at it and is telling me all this crap. I asked if he could just repair the wiring but he says it would cost more in labor doing that than replacing the whole assembly. What do you guys think?