View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 07:36 AM
dieselarchitect

cadies

were really good high quality cars in the thirties forties and early fifties. i had several early fifties during my caddie phase. (in the eighties) the 53 was the high point in my mind. after that they pretty much stagnated mechaniclaly for decades and concentrated on style, becoming lower wider longer and driving less well and not getting any better from an engineering point. my 53 was a fast reliable and supremely comfortable car even in the eighties. it was better than a benz on the highway. ride performance and braking were good even by 80s standards. fuel economy was too at 18 to 19 on highway. steering was completely numb unless it was manual then it was very good but heavy to park. only the cornering sucked really bad. stylish too. i loved the fuel filler hidden in the taillight. and i loved the look of the tailfin taillights.

tom w
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.