View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 08:05 PM

Oil burning problem

Hello All,
I had a head gasket leak on my 84 300D that had been slowly puking coolant since I bought the car. Last January I pulled the head and discovered the head gasket was indeed compromised. Since I had the head off I disassembled the head and dropped it off at a reputable shop that does a lot of diesel work. The exhaust guides needed to be done so I had them replaced. Valves were ground and all new seals, gaskets, etc. were installed when it all went back together. The head gasket repair worked, no longer pukes coolant and system doesn't retain pressure. Before the head work the engine used 1qt of oil every 3500-4000miles. Now it uses 1qt every 200-400miles. I have used the car very little since the work and the fact that I was busy replacing/repairing the AC system. Now that is almost all done I am trying to figure out what to do about the oil consumption. Obviously something went wrong. I figure maybe a guide didn't install correctly, etc. I have rebuilt many heads and I used the MB manual, etc. when it all went back together. The guides and seals were OE MB parts. So what do I do now? I don't really want to take it all apart again. I am tired of working on this car. I would consider just swapping a new/rebuilt head on if the price was right but the rebuilts I have seen from Metric Motors, etc. are quite pricey. I cannot stomach tearing it all apart and trying to fix it again only to make the same mistake, again. This really irks me. I am also just putting the car up for sale, as is, as I just want out at this point. Any input on a good rebuilt head source would be appreciated. Thanks, RT
93' Chevrolet C2500HD ExCab 6.5TD, Two-tone blue, 252K