View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whunter
If the fluid is at operating temperature, brake torque causes a momentary flare of thermal overload focused in the clutch packs, this contributes to premature wear of clutch packs and fluid.
The main factor is how long you brake torque and how often.
I see people set at stop lights applying brake torque 180 seconds or longer = goodbye transmission.

I want many hundreds of thousands of miles from my transmission + I am too cheap and lazy to enjoy changing transmissions any sooner than I am forced to.
If the fluid is at operating temperature, the 3 second brake torque would cause the fluid to increase in temperature slightly. Can we say 10 degrees or so??

Can you kindly explain, in detail, how this temperature increase would cause a thermal overload in the clutch packs? Please make the assumption that the transmission is in good condition and the clutch packs won't slip due to the applied torque. It is not a fair argument to state that the clutch packs will slip under a brake torque event. If so, then the transmission is on the way out anyway.

If 10 degrees would cause a thermal overload, then towing a vehicle with a trailer, for 500 miles, would be a guaranteed killer of the transmission. The trailer certainly causes the transmission to operate 10 degrees (or more) warmer for the entire length of the trip.

So, if you are convinced that the three second brake torque can provide a thermal overload to the clutch pack, you will have to reconcile the fact that most transmissions can accommodate towing a trailer for an unlimited distance, provided that the driver doesn't demand maximum (or near maximum) power for an extented time in any gear where lockup is not present.

I, too, wish to go a long distance with the transmission and am not an advocate of brake torque. But, as an engineer, I don't see anyone providing specific facts that prove it to be damaging to the transmission, provided that the brake torque event is limited to five seconds or less.