View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 10:08 PM

My 240 is a slug compared to others

Sorry but I have to try to get to the root of the problem. I posted last month about some of my symptoms. Here is a little more detail. My one owner previous 81' 240d is so slow on take off compared to another with many more miles. I just have no- get up and go in first gear and it slowly gets better in second. There is no hestitation in any gears just lack of any power in 1st.Flat out highway and 65+ is no problem. #rd gear is a real puller. The car flies in higher gears.
I ran it next to another 80' 240d and this other car smoked me bad on take off and performance. I invite any Utah peeps to come drive them. It really approaches the performace of a 300D.

Here is what I have ....
81' 240 purchased in Germany 1981 on the MB Import program.
Car lived it's whole live in So cal and Las Vegas. The car was garaged and
maintained by a Independent MB dealer in Vegas.
The vehicle was driven by an older couple, mostly driven by the elderly lady. I spoke with here after I got the car at auction. It had a minor fender hit.
Oodmeter is 136xxx and is actual
What I have done:
Adjusted valves
Changed filters
Change oil to Delo 400
put one can of Greased Lightning ( as suggested on this forum) in the tank and saw no difference.
No visible chain stretch.
Very little blow-by

MY questions are this...

What should the IP be set at using the bubble method and accounting for my 4500' elevation.
I see 2 banjo bolts on the IP.. do they need attention/cleaning?
The other 240d I raced.. (yeah like you can race) looked to have his IP retarded heavily( rotated away from motor about 3/8 more than mine..
I would figure worse performance on his but again his is a rocket ship compared to mine.
I know this motor is capable of more power in 1st gear and beginning second cause I have driven one that does.
Help with suggestions...After 2nd .. 3rd and 4th it goes like a cut cat but
i need to purchase binoculars to look for oncoming traffic when entering the freeway as it is now... Help?
IP or injector problem.. what do you think?

thanks
and I did search.. most of the post's suggest to live with 240 low power but I know there is something wrong at takeoff.