View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 10:10 AM

Wow, there is really some experience on this forum! Thank you for the replies and info!

Brian Carlton,
I notice you have both engine types...so as a first time Mercedes buyer, which type should I get? I have read about the extra expense of the 603 motor! It is too much for a first time MB owner?

I currently drive diesel rabbit's and have driven an '83 300D, but this 300sdl in this junkyard looks so sweet! It is black and has a recent paint job! The guy said he used to race his cop friends with it! He said it does an easy 100 on the highway and has had it to 140mph! Anyways it has sat for 8 years and has just 130,000 origianal miles on it. I'm not sure he ready to sell it yet, but he's coming around...I told him to let me know when he's ready to let her go! (I think I can persuade him, he liked my interest in it)

I guess I will have to look for the engine # and see if it was a later built engine.

Anyways, I love tinkering with cars and have done all my own work on my rabbit(no engine teardown yet) and don't mind doing all I can to keep 'em running! I just don't want to be 4 grand into a car purchase and then need lots of expensive parts.

Any idea what average price per year to drive an old MB is? Not purchase, but upkeep and repair?

Thanks y'all! This forum is great!

Caleb