Thread: 1971 220
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 07:37 PM
gimme a low-tech 240D

Sorry neighbor, been offline with computer problems.... Mark has the right idea - prioritize your work. And fuel system is place to start. 14mm(?) allen bolt is the usual drain plug for the gas tank, same as the engine and pumpkin drain plugs. But if its 17mm or 19mm then use a bolt paired with nuts as poorman's allen tool to pull the drain plug. There's a filter screen in their too.

And there could be gasoline varnish in carb passages. Hell if it was me, I'd probably pull the carb an soak it in gallon of solvent mineral spirits for awhile. But would avoid completely dismantling it if possible. At least get some carb cleaner soaking in the bowls and shoot the passages while its sitting there attached to the engine.

Spark plugs are Champion N9Y gapped at .024".... And down the road you can experiment with different heat range plugs - For example N10Y and N11Y are slightly hotter and might work better also gapped at .024.

Valves are .004 (intake) and .008 (exhaust)..... with variability of .002 being tolerable. And points dwell is set at 47-53 degrees, no measurement given in the book for gap but I've heard its about .028 - .032" These are the dwell specs given for the 1974 230 4cyl 115 as far as my Chilton book goes back, and should be the same or similar to your 220. But why the hell are you messing with point settings if the car aint even started? Later on you can probably convert to electronic ignition *after* you've got it running and know the car.

Have you been through the Vintage Links folder here? Should be able to access parts catalogue schematic that shows how every part on the car fits together. Othewise try for a Chilton's repair book either on ebay or amazon.com

Looks like an excellent vehicle and that color blue is common enough that you might find a matching door. Hell I've been driving my 240D with bashed grill for nearly a year since clobbering a deer last Winter.

Would like to provide more help, but dont have the exact repair manual for the car. It sounds like you know what you're doing so keep us informed as you get it running. And yeah - soaking the chambers with oil and hand cranking the engine probably saved the rings and bores. Git her going and you will be amazed by what an excellent and economical little engine it is for the sedan. Not a hotrod, but an excellent little daily driver.