View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. R. B.
I live in North Dakota where temps have gone down as low as -30F and wind chills down to -80F. I don't use a piece of cardboard. I replaced my thermostat and ran my Benz all winter. Soooo replace your thermostat, flush your system, and use Mercedes coolant. I don't understand your mechanic's statement that a new thermostat "might not help". If he stands by that statement I would suggest that you get a different mechanic or at least get a second opinion. Better yet do the procedure yourself that way you know it's done right.
Though only driving my MB ('87 300TD) one NH winter, I certainly agree with the above. A new thermostat and MB coolant were some of my first purchases. I also checked the remainder of the cooling system (hoses, fans, radiator, mono-valve, etc.) before the cold set in. Mine generates great heat when called on to do so. Though not everyone agrees, and for specific reasons, I installed the block heater cord and used it. A properly running diesel may or may not need the heater yet I feel more confident with it. Contrary to a prior post about routing the cord, I actually did not cut a hole in the hood to have easy access to the plug end.

I also don't understand why your tech would tell you what (s)he said.
'77 VW Type II - 77K - Restored
'08 250EX Ninja
English Bulldog (Brier) - My best friend. Passed away 12/02/04 while in my arms.