Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Car Audio and Multimedia

View Poll Results: Did my first DIY suck?
AWESOME 8 100.00%
SUCKS 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 10:24 AM

DIY: Power Antenna gear replacement

You have a Hirschmann antenna, you can hear the motor whirring when you send it up or down, your mast isn't jammed up or broken... it's time to open this baby up.

Remove the antenna unit from your vehicle paying careful attention so that you can remember how to put it back in.

(Photo 1)
Now pop off the cover gently so that you don't snap the retainers off. I used a flathead screwdriver into the retainer holes

(Photo 2) (yes.. this is my old power antenna...)
If you see this, I doubt you can hear your motor whirring and you are lucky your whole car didn't catch on fire. this DIY won't help you, but if you are lucky you can save the gears, belt and mast off of this antenna)

(Photo 4)
This is what you should see, now if the round gear and the one beneath it can move independent of each other, continue with this DIY, if not, this is the wrong DIY (but feel free to check out the pictures) Remove the ring from the top of the shaft

(Photo 5)
Remove this thingy too

(Photo 6)
See that thing? The one with the circle around it? That doesn't go there!

(Photo 7)
Yep, you guessed it, it goes here.

I took the gear off my old burned up unit, and put it all back together. You might try (and I may still try) repairing the gear with a screw through the top side into that piece, or some superglue or epoxy..

Put everything together in the order it came apart, clean and lubricate your shaft.. erm.. MAST, and you should be golden now.. at least for a few more years...

Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Power Antenna gear replacement-1-unit.jpg   DIY: Power Antenna gear replacement-2-burned.jpg   DIY: Power Antenna gear replacement-3-open.jpg   DIY: Power Antenna gear replacement-4-ring.jpg   DIY: Power Antenna gear replacement-5-thingy.jpg  

Fell off the WVO bandwagon when people started trying to charge $2.50 a gallon for dirty vegetable oil.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:27 AM

Exclamation

If anyone knows how to actually put my attachments into the document by all means let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Power Antenna gear replacement-6-buffer.jpg   DIY: Power Antenna gear replacement-7-missing.jpg  

Fell off the WVO bandwagon when people started trying to charge $2.50 a gallon for dirty vegetable oil.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Retired Webmaster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT John View Post
If anyone knows how to actually put my attachments into the document by all means let me know.
PM or email me when you are finished writing this DIY and I'll post it in the DIY Wiki. Your pics will show up within the article then.
2010 Toyota Sequoia
My Photo Albums
Old 12-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Retired Webmaster

Thumbs up It's in the DIY Wiki

This DIY is now in our DIY Articles Wiki.
Look HERE to see it.

Thanks SGT John!
2010 Toyota Sequoia
My Photo Albums
Old 03-10-2012, 08:00 PM

antenna mast replacement vs. entire new unit

John, Thanks for the time you took taking pictures and narrative explaining how to accomplish this task. I found a new complete unit on Ebay for $45.00 with free shipping my car 16 years old I figure it worked well this length of time I'm install the whole thing so I don't have to mess with it for the next 16 years. Last time my thinking was going in this direction some drug addict ran in to back of me while I'm stopped for red light. in vw BUS KILLED HIM. I DROVE MY CAR TO MBZ DEALER ROOF BUCKLED UP 3 S'HORTER THAN WHEN I LEFT HOME.