View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by phidauex
Glinko, this is just an idea, but have you considered taking your car to another inspection station? Around here, local shops and gas stations do the safety inspections, and some are really shady and will basically pass anything... I once bought a 125cc Honda Aero scooter, and needed to get a safety inspection to register it. I was planning on fixing it all up, but I knew it had several major problems (no rear brakes (!), rust on the frame, cracked tires, completely shot (rigid) front suspension, no electrical, etc.). I took it to this shady little gas station near my place. The guy comes out with the form, looks at it, says, "How fast that little thing go?" I say, "Oh, bout 60 when its running good." and he says, OK, signs the form, gives me the sticker and says, "That'll be ten buck." I pay the man, and limp the thing home to get to work. At first I thought, "Boy, that is terribly dishonest of him." But then I though, "Ah, but handy for me!"

I'm not suggesting that you never fix the car, you should do what you can to repair the damage at least enough to make the car safe, but its hard to do that if you can't even register it, so it could be handy to have a less reputable safety inspector...

peace,
sam
When I lived in NH (long ago) I got my safety inspections at a place that literally didn't look at the cars. I would bring one car with the paperwork for both my cars and get two stickers. On Sat mornings there would be a line of people to "buy" their stickers.