View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Dieseldiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANT '71 280SEL
There is a bolt in the manifold that can be removed to have a pressure guage hooked up for this very purpose. Look on the FSM and find out what the proper back pressure is. You should be able to get some kind of pressure guage in there to measure back pressure. Maybe just removing the plug would be enough to let it somewhat run.

Thanks
David
Great minds think alike. I was losing sleep (hey it was a full moon and too bright to get a wink) and this came to mind, I am looking for a rubber plug to fit tightly against the opening, this is where I would install my EGR (when Iget to the intercooler project )
I found a rubber cone shaped piece on the end of my air gun, its removable and I can put that onto a hose that will be attached to a pressure gauge. It fits tightly in the opening at the front of the exhaust manifold. One way to gauge the pressure drop agsint the other car. A very scientific approach.

Or I might swap another trap oxidizer onto the engine, there is one available on a engine that lost oil and the bearings siezed. That is a shotgun approach.

Or I might just do as Brian suggests and tow the thing to the dealer. I hate to think of that but its becoming closer to reality. The shop owner who has been so kind to let me work on the car on his lift (I pay his mechanic for his time troubleshooting and replacing the pistons so he's not losing $$) is losing patience.
This has been and continues to be a saga that has me completely baffled. Why the engine dies just from removing the crossover pipe is beyond my comprehension. I need to fix this so I can get a good night's sleep!