View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Dieseldiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixto
I agree with taking the trap out of the loop. David mentioned the plug on the #1 exhaust runner. Pull it and see if you can get it to idle longer than a few seconds. The turbo feed pipe is very easy to remove. I don't know if the bulk of a trap makes it much more difficult. You should be able to run the engine without the trap. It'll bother your neighbors more than the engine.

Have you checked the exhaust pipes? Maybe some critter moved in while you were working on the head.

If you're concerned about electronic control of the IP, remove the connector into the round thing at the back of the IP. The connector on top is for a sensor. It has no direct influence on the IP.

Sixto
87 300SDL
Thanks, sixto. You care to stop by and see this mess? I'll treat you to a meal if you do.

I am not certian that I can remove the trap, without adding some pipe to allow exhaust gasses over to the turbo the turbo will be dead in the water (er air). With no trap the turbo won't spin and the intake will be strangled, won't it?
Knowing that removing the crossover pipe makes this engine die (on another perfectly good 603 engine) is still baffling me!

I think that WANT '71 280SEL's suggestion of removing the EGR and exhaust connection to it and the plug at the front of the exhaust manifold is the best thing to try at this point.

The fact it idles three seconds, then two, then one second is what is leading me to conclude that exhaust gasses are building up in the intake. If all the intake receives are exhaust gasses then the engine is going to die, no way its going to run under those conditions.
I always remember from experience with a bad turbo on a 617 that "Turbodiesel engines are meant to be fed by the turbo and in turn feed the turbo when they run. Its a symbiotic relationship."