View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 04:05 PM
MB, love..hate..love..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86560SEL
I have decided to buy a 85' 380SE and wondering about the performance of this car. I am having the car delivered, so I will not be able to drive it before I buy. I know it is the smaller V8, but since it is the "SE" it is the shorter wheelbase and lighter than the 500SEL (which is a 5.0L). Is this offset enough for this car to have adequate power? !
- Mine has enough power on the highway, but don't expect rocket-like acceleration. It's more like a refined escalation to cruising speed.

Quote:
Also, about the coolant levels on these Mercedes. I have been looking at several and many do not appear to have the coolant tank full. Actually, the car I am looking at is a little less than 1/2 level. Should these things always be full, or do they fluctuate?
Look closely at the plastic tank and you'll see a full line on the side. The level depends on the owner's diligence on maintaining it. If there's a leak, you'll find out soon enough, but check around obvious places like the hoses and the pump for signs of leakage.

Quote:
Also, when I get the car, I want to fill it up if it needs to be. I have heard that the "common" green anti-freeze is not acceptable on a Mercedes. What exactly is recommended?
Lots of opinions on this, revealed through an archive search on 'coolant'. The consensus seems to be that green is not the best choice, either Mercedes coolant or Zerex G5 is preferred.

BTW, these are rather basic questions for someone with your post count. No offence, but I have a feeling that we will hear from you again, and I for one am always here for a fellow 380SE owner, the '85 being of course the preferred year. I do have the engine, chassis, and heating A/C manuals for this car. Good luck...

Added: No special procedure to top it up with whatever is in it now, but you'll need to flush to change it. Again, subject is well covered by threads here.

Last edited by donbryce; 11-30-2005 at 06:53 PM.