View Single Post
Old 07-14-2001, 05:45 PM
Another View. . .

Thanks For Being A Good Sport...

I was not implying that you were afraid of USING X-66, just that you seem to be selling fear after having used it successfully yourself. To say that you are capable of using this product, but then rail against it's "casual" use by anyone else sends a somewhat condescending message indicating that you are one of an elite force of people who possess extrodinary intellect, judgement, skill and abilities far beyond those of we mortal men...

I don't think that's what you meant to say, and I certainly don't detect that in your intentions, but the Pandora's Box, Worms, and Murphy stuff was a little extreme. I hope you see what I am saying, and understand the PhotoShop photo-op was a joke to lighten things up. You see, to even imply that someone may not be able to handle this product sets off the "Testosterone Challenge" in all of us males. What do you mean, I can't drink as much, drive as fast, jump as high, punch as hard, lift as much weight, etc. You see, your warnings as stated may actually have the opposite effect from what you intended.

Every repair to our cars has the potential for injury, or harm to the car itself. Even simple interior repairs using a common screwdriver can result in ripped upholstery, and/or punctured skin. We all need to understand our skill level and operate within what we feel comfortable doing, and not attempt repairs that we haven't at least thought through carefully. remember Police Inspector Harry Callahan's famous line, "A man's gotta know his limitations"...

So lets do a little science here. First, if your car is less than 10 years old, you most likely don't need this stuff, especially if you have done proper maintenance on it. And I wouldn't suggest using it in a diesel engine because the diesel is an engine that operates on compression ignition, and the flash point of X-66 and it's Liquefied Petroleum Propellant component is likely to be much lower than that of diesel fuel. If you didn't understand what I just wrote, just forget about X-66.

Next, while I respect both RTH and Steve for their cautions on this product, there is nothing from ACDelco indicating that it is anything but what they call it, "Carburetor Tune-Up Conditioner". Their product literature doesn't indicate use by only qualified professional technicians, or indicate that any extreme precautionary measures be taken when using it. In fact, I've seen common household cleaners with harsher warnings and precautions.

And, there seems to be two seperate products here. There's ACDelco Carburetor Tune-Up Conditioner, ACDelco part # X-66(A,P,orQ), GM part # 12302498 (for the aerosol). And then there's GM Top Engine Cleaner, GM part # 1050002. When I initially did research on this product, I could only find the GM stuff, which pmizell ended up using successfully. Leaving it in the engine longer than suggested was not extreme, or out of line, and is perfectly within operating parameters. However, there is still some confusion as to whether or not these are two separate products, or the same one with two different labels. Perhaps pmizell could tell us if the chemical contents are identical to what I am listing here?

Now, I have a can of the X-66A aerosol right here next to me. There is a paragraph of danger warnings at the top of the label on the back that is the standard stuff about it being flammable, that it's under pressure, that it's harmful or fatal if swallowed, not good to get it in your eyes, may cause skin, eye, respiratory tract irritation, avoid eye, skin, and clothing contact, use with adequate ventilation, etc. Pretty standard stuff. The only indication of being exceptionally nasty stuff is that it can be absorbed through the skin.

It says that it "contains solvents and penetrating agents designed to remove gum, carbon, and other deposits from the fuel induction system. It frees sticky valves and sluggish compression rings, and removes excessive deposits from the combustion chamber. For best results, X-66A should be used in conjunction with an engine tune-up."

The contents listed are:

Petroleum Naptha CAS 8030-30-6
2-Butoxy ethanol CAS 111-76-2
9-Octadecenoic acid(Z)-, ammonium salt CAS 544-60-5
Liquefied petroleum propellant CAS 68476-86-8
2-pentanol, 4-methyl CAS 108-11-2

The directions are:

1. Warm engine up to normal operating temperature

2. Remove air cleaner, run engine at medium idle (about 750 rpm).

3. Spray cleaner directly into carburetor venturi, striking automatic choke plate, main throttle plate and shafts. Spray around venturi walls and over entire exposed area. NOTE: spray will reduce rpm to 400 - 500; this is normal.

4. When can is empty, immediately stall engine by turning off ignition.

5. Let engine stand for 5 - 10 minutes.

6. Restart engine, open and close throttle rapidly, within normal limits, for two minutes.

7. Replace air cleaner.

8. if necessary, adjust settings of air bleeds and idle screw.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary here, this stuff is just a carburetor cleaner and decarbonizing agent. Although it may be a particularly effective one, and consequently possess additionally harsh chemical agents in it. It should be treated with proper caution and respect, but there isn't that much difference I can see between it and say, Berryman B-12, or any other solvent carburetor cleaner. However, I would strongly suggest an oil & filter change after using it.

Here's my plan for using this stuff. I have a '92 Ford Aerostar with about 102K miles on the clock. The van runs pretty good, but has a hesitation and slight shudder at idle sometimes. It also is using a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Ford says that level of oil use is normal. I don't see any smoke, or any oil drips. So, I am getting ready to do an oil & filter change, and before I do, I will run this poop through the air intake into the plenum to clear out whatever nasty carbon has accumulated, and we'll see if this makes any improvement in the oil usage, idle, and/or general performance.

"...a page of history is worth a volume of logic."
Oliver Wendell Holmes

"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself."
Sir Winston Churchill

"The only dumb question was the one you were afraid to ask."
Anonymous

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
Abraham Lincoln

Scott Longston
Northern California Wine Country...
"Turbos whistle, grapes wine..."