View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Hired Geek

Well crap.

I cracked the injector lines today and saw a little bit of fuel dribbling at each line. It may be interesting to note that it took a couple cranks before fuel came out on a couple lines. The glow plug relay is working, and the voltage from each glow plug relay wire was at least 10V. I unfortunately did not have an ohmmeter available. I will tomorrow. The engine turned much faster than it used to, but it didn't sound like it was firing at all. From the exhaust pipe, there was white smoke, but I felt a rhythmic puffing, like a vacuum; much like the feeling of a running gas engine misfiring one cylinder. My mechanic doesn't have a diesel compression checker, he recommended the local "expensive" shop for that. He expressed some concern that my oil was jet black and that there could be a problem with the rings; also I should change the oil as soon as I can get the engine running. I've always used Rotella T 15W40. Maybe something lighter for the winter? Now I'm staring at spending a bunch of money for a compression check and/or valve adjustment, right?

I apologize for any nonsensical wording in the above paragraph. I'm in emotional distress over my car.
86 300E (FOR SALE)
78 450SL (totalled by girl on drugs in SUV)
87 Volvo 740GLE wagon (totalled by Ford Expedition)