View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autozen

Duke,
If you say the weights have to be on both flanges of the rim, I will have to disagree with you. Your theory may be correct and scientific, but for all practical purposes weights on one flange are all that is necessary even for folks like me who like to open it up across the Mohave Desert on the way to Vegas. The only person I know who might be concerned with your theory is my neighbor who lives 20 miles away. When he runs his car it is around 600 MPH and he has special tires that are Kevlar rapped.
It's not a theory. It's basic physics.

If you don't mount weights on both sides the assembly is probably not in dynamic balance, which may or may not cause a problem.

There is insufficient room between the wheel drop center and brake caliper on my Cosworth Vega to mount stick on weights, and I don't want to marr the outside of the wheel with weights, so I only have them statically balanced with aluminum wheel clip on weight on the inside flange. Since the wheels are only 6" wide with 205/60R-13 tires, dynamic balance has never been a problem. Dynamic unbalance is be indicated if the steering wheel wiggles right-left a bit at certain speeds.

As wheel and tire width go up, dynamic balance becomes a greater issue.

On my 190 I have the tech mount stick on weights on the wheel drop center just inside the outside face. Modern equipment has probes that provide the machine with the distance of the weight planes from the wheel center plane and also the radius of the weight from the axis of rotation. Both these dimensions are required so the machine can calculate the required weight for dynamic balance.

Most who have not been exposed to an engineering course in dynamics do not understand dynamic balance. The angular momentum vector conincident with the spin axis is the easiest way to describe it, but from a practical point, if the steering wheel doesn't wiggle back and forth, any dynamic unbalance present is not sufficient to cause problems. In the case of Mercs, this is true IF the steering damper is okay. If not, get ready for some serious front end shimmy.

Duke

Duke