View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Registered Diesel Burner

At this point I'm going to presume you have the driveshaft off and the rear differential mount removed (the one that is attached to the rear cover of the differential.

You should have the back end of the car up on jackstands, being held by the frame - I think I did this either at the subframe mount points or further back near the rear sway bar mounts. Make darned sure the car is stable at this point, because you have little crush protection as the differential comes out, because that helps hold the subframe in place which in turn holds the rear wheels.

The problem you are having with clearance has to do with the subframe position. With the frame up on jackstands, as you push the wheel ends of the subframe upward, the differential will drop down, allowing you more access to the bolts. You can figure out your own method of holding the wheels up - I think I used a bottle jack somehow.

A lot of times I use extra wheels (lying on their sides) as crush protection by putting them under the frame. You really have to get pretty far under the car for the differential work and I fear not only for myself but others. I seem to remember spending a lot of time completely under the car in the vicinity of the front of the differential to get the front two bolts off.

Please be careful.

Ken300D
1987 300D at 370K miles