View Single Post
Old 01-15-2006, 11:48 PM
Fred Hudspeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon314159
I second this idea...although it could make a car leak that has never leaked oil before (on the ground) atleast it would perhaps help the mystey oil consumption problem...

For something to compare to...my car gives off STRONG vapors from the valve cover (I have oil comin out of the cap something feirce when I loosen it) and I use about a quart every oil change...most of this leaks out my IP and oil filter stand gaskets though...they are in the mail
Thanks, Brandon - and to ALL who have contributed to this thread.

I will recommend the synthetic to the owner. The records show Rotella 15W40 has been used since new.

I was present today when the owner removed the cap with the engine running. The oil that had accumulated on the underside of the cap did blow out and onto an otherwise clean-as-new engine. We removed that from the engine and wiped the cap dry of oil. With the cap removed and the engine running, there was no oil being discharged from the open filler hole at idle RPM. We then just covered the hole with the filler cap (i.e., did not turn it) and observed the "tea kettle" effect. After cleaning the cap, no more oil was blown out from under it - just "dry" vapor...

The previous (i.e., original) owner rarely used the SD for long distance travel. It was used mainly between his home and office at an average of 40 MPH and probably did not exceed 55 MPH very often. That may explain why there are only a few entries in the records for oil additions between changes. As reported earlier, the current owner advises oil usage is a tolerable one quart or so between changes (3000 mile intervals) when used mainly for local travel.

It may be that in the manufacturing process this particular engine just happened to get the random maximum tolerances on many dimensions that impact oil control - especially at sustained road speeds of 75 MPH and 3100 RPM or so.
'82 300 SD (original owner)