View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 03:11 PM

Bleeding the brakes of a W123

When we bought our '85 Calif 300D, I attempted to flush the brake fluid with my pressure bleeder, but was able to move fluid only through the driver's side front caliper. From the other three calipers, I got not a drop. Since the brakes seemed to work fine, I moved on to other projects. A year ago, I replaced the pads on all four corners and again tried to flush the system, with the same results, or lack of results.

Yesterday, when I replaced the master cylinder, which had been leaking, I again tried to flush the system because a little air had been introduced in the changing of the master cylinder. Fortunately, I had bled the master cylinder before installation, or I would have been in serious trouble, because, as before, I could move fluid only out of the driver's side front caliper. I should note that I've blown out all of the bleeder screws, so I know they're clear.

A mechanic I spoke with said that sometimes a pressure bleeder causes air to cavitate, thus defeating the pressure. He said that sometimes he opens the bleeder on the right rear caliper and allows gravity to slowly move the fluid through and the air out. Have any of you ever heard such a suggestion?
I have a MityVac also ... should I give that a try?

Right now, except for a very little air in the system, the brakes work great, better than with the old master cylinder.

Phil

'85 Calif 300D
'84 Euro 300D