View Single Post
Old 07-28-2001, 12:09 PM

Replaced steering damper & idler arm bush but still clueless

Hi everyone,

I had my steering damper and idler arm bush (idler arm repair kit) replaced yesterday, but the groaning sound still stays.

Now that I've been tracking this sound very closely since I posted this thread, I am able to confirm one peculiar phenomenon: it only groans when steering left (and also when returning the wheel back to center). Works perfectly alright when steering to the right, and on straight runs.

I'd my mech checked all those places you guys mentioned. Lower ball joints, tie rod ends, motor mounts, etc., all are OK. Now I'm clueless! I just cannot live with it knowing very well that the groan only surfaced recently, and this obviously points to the fact that some part/s (where???) has been worn, and due for replacement. Could it be the steering column or related? Anyone else could help me out?

For those of you keen on this problem, do follow this thread as I will post any update as soon as I have new leads.

On another note, for those who are curious as to whether it's time for them to replace their steering damper/idler arm bush, let me say this: Go do it and you'll be VERY pleasantly surprised! Trust me. My original damper has lost so much of the shock absorbant property, and the idler arm bush took a considerable amount of effort to yank it out. Must have been there for a good 18 years!! Can you imagine that? The rubber bushings have dried up, as expected. This job is quite an easy job though, very cheap too, at least for me here in Singapore. Damper cost me USD$9, and the idler arm repair kit also cost USD$9. Now the steering feels great, no longer "loose" and it wanders so much less than previously. There is much more "feel" in the steering now, it feels like new. Go do it!

Mervyn
1983 W126 (280SEL)