View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 12:26 AM
Strong, silent type

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGER E.
<>

Mine does but I haven't used that button. I did press the question mark button when the car was new and asked some technical question or other. I do know that stored codes can be extracted so that the tech driving the service wagon has some idea of what to bring along.

<>

CPO??

Yes, there is no dipstick. No dedicated oil pressure idiot light either but most likely the check engine light will come on. As time goes on, you will get over worrying about it, as I did. At each fillup, I check the oil using the MFD buttons. OK/NOT OK. From time to time, I check it using the other MFD method that I mentioned in a previous post.

BTW, MB has not only jacked up the base price on the '06 C320 but has removed TeleAid and rear door airbags (and more, probably) from the standard equipment list. TeleAid now costs $850 or so and I won't buy it in my next car.

If you would like to check the oil the accurate way, here's how.

Sitting in the driver seat with the door closed,

Insert key and turn to position one.

On the steering wheel's left button group, press the down menu (left side) button once or twice to dismiss the odo reading.

Immediately press and hold the odo reset button until the dashboard beeps. Takes up to 45 seconds.

Release it and press the up-menu button once (right side) which will change the display.

In a moment, the oil quantity will be displayed (8.2 quarts, for example) along with some technical info about the MFD itself plus the engine type and version. You can drive the car with this display visible and it's interesting how much oil is in the engine when it's running.

I attempted this on a friends W211 E500 and it didn't work so this must be a W203 procedure on pre-facelift cars with the semicircular instrument panel.
CPO = Certified Pre Owned

I got a 2005 C240 loaner from the dealer and it did nothave the Tele Aid. I thought it was only the C240 where the Tele-Aid was an option. Apparently not.

I think that MB makes a mistakes when it does not offer Tele Aid as a standard feauture across all model lines. First, it is a great selling point, like OnStar (we have that in our Yukon and I love it); and Second people who buy cars with Tele Aid tend to renew the service after the original term expires, making Benz more money. I'd rather have Tele Aid than Sirius or XM radio, but oh well.

The wrench button is great for those intermittent problems that magically go away as soon as you pull into the dealer's parking lot. I am sorry that my 1998 E320 does nothave it and it would be the only reason why I would trade in a car that has worked well, and is paid for, for a newer E series.

I know what you mean about no missing the oildipstick. I bought the car for my oldest daughter and I really don't want her messing around under the hood checking oil and stuff (I don't want her messing around anywhere else for that matter either).

I do miss the oil pressure gauge though. It can be an engine saver if you detect changes in the pressure pattern. I don't like driving a car w/o an oil pressure gauge. I also miss the funky "economy" gauge in the old W124 and W126 series. I still get a blast trying to keep the needle in the "economy" side while driving around in my old 300TE. But oh well....

Thanks for the info on how to check the MFD for oil level. I'll check it out.

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!