View Single Post
Old 02-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Low Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaDiesel
The more I think that XM and Sirius are going to drop off. I just don't see the point. I know that they have ads and the sats don't... but for how long? Cable TV started out like that too... and see how that worked. I just don't see it. I'm hearing a lot of really cool stuff about HD.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I have some Sirius stock and it's a dog.

Pete
I have XM in my SD, and I also have a SkyFi unit that I move around the house; I love XM. If you live near NYC or Philly and have dozens of stations to choose from you may be forgetting the access factor. I originally got XM because I live in a small town 30 mountainous miles from the nearest major(ish) city. There aren't many repeaters up here, and there's not much static-free choice. With XM, I've got infinite choice with perfect quality. Similarly, I drive to SoCal and to eastern Wyoming a lot, and there's nothing in the middle. With XM, not an issue. HD does nothing for the access issue.

I think XM and Sirius are probably sixes in the programming dept, unless you're obsessed with Stern or one of the other content sources that one has over the other. I've had no problems with XM access (from an antenna inside the windshield on the dash) except at the bottom of serious canyons, which isn't that often. I'd guess Sirius would have similar problems.

05 F650GS