View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 01:56 AM

Thanks. I guess another way is to check the PS hoses and make sure it is not that pump. Also, may be a good idea to raise the hood and let someone listen closely when I first start it. As mentioned, it only does it for about a second on the first startup of the day. Also- it has to be below 40*F before it does it. Also- I will change the oil and put on a MB filter ASAP and see if that helps. As mentioned, I do not recall it doing it before.

I am not really up to paying $600 for a chain/tensioner replacement. $900. if I have the rails and guides changed too. I only paid $1000. for the entire car. Also- what would happen if I paid all of this $$$ out for a new chain/tensioner/rails and something else happens to the engine? Money wasted.

Its definitely not a show car (just a daily driver) and I do not want to put much money in it. For $1000 car, - if it breaks, well then I guess I will call the salvage yard and have the car crushed or part it out. When I was considering a MB seeking advice here, I do not recall the timing chains being such an issue - now that I have done some searching on "chains" it seems to be a major concern. I do not see why it is such a costly replacement.

I do not think it is the chain hitting the covers- it has more of a high pitched sound, but I could be wrong. I have been before.

Thanks again! I will check all of the suggested actions.

Bedtime.... zzzzzzzz