View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Loose Cannon - No Balls

I agree that the throw-away rep came partly from the over-tuned models. The road engines were only rated as high as 300hp, very reliable. Marine versions went to 435hp (warrantied), I've been told that the ones over 365hp are known for tearing themselves up on the water, the lower hp ones more reliable. One thing that sold them regardless is the propensity for boaters to keep the engine room clean, the most popular competition being the much stronger-heavier Detroit 92-series, which had a bad habit of slobbering all over the engine room even with Airseps. The down-side of the two-stroke Detroit diesels.

The other reason that the 3208 is known as a "throw-away" is that it is a dry-sleeve engine. In the DD engines for example, you have a "wet-sleeve" which is a cylinder which is pressed into place and surrounded by water. Replacing cylinder packs / sleeves is reasonably simple and economical in wet-sleeve engines where the 3208 would need to be bored out to install the new cylinder, and the engines aren't worth repairing many times (more labor). Usually unless the DD block is stretched it can be re-sleeved. This nickname had little to do with the life expectancy of the 10.4liter 3208 diesel, more with its repairability vs wet-sleeve engines.

On the upside, a dry-sleeve engine is less susceptible to cavitation pitting, ...

They'll easily last 350k before an "in-frame" in a MH happlication if properly maintained, roll in a new set of bearings at ~120k for good PM, my (first one) 190,000mile 3208 idled over 100psi of oil pressure hot and used almost no oil, it'll do the job.

My first one was an Na, we got around 35hp at the wheels (chassis dyno) by installing nozzles with a lower opening pressure, new IP cam with a higher injection rate, max. advance increased to 12.5degrees (mechanical), increasing intake airflow, and turning up the full-load point at the IP. Good engines.

- Jeff Miller
190DT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatterasguy
In the marine world cat 3208's are known as "throw away" engines. Mostly their luke warm rep came from the later ones that were turbo charged and putting out about 350-430 depending on the model. The original NA versons seem to last a very long time. I'd remove the turbo and keep it completly stock.

I have seen several in trawlers with a few thousand hours on them and they were doing fine, NA of course.

Nice motorhome btw, very cool looking!!!