View Single Post
Old 03-15-2006, 09:53 AM
Dale 240D

Smile priming pump question

Hey All,
Love the site. I've just bought my first benz 3 months ago. it's an '83 240D and am learning all about the world of diesel. This site has taught me a lot...but alas not enough.
Here's my problem. I got in my car after it had sat for about 3 hours. Started up with no problem and pulled onto the street. After about a minute, it had no power or throttle reponse. ran this way for about 30 seconds then died. would not restart. starter is fine, throttle linkage is fine.
the car is new to me and the fuel gauge said i had maybe a little less than an 1/8th of a tank. Did i run out of fuel it thought? well, i got about a gallon and a half of diesel into the tank and then look at my priming pump. i've never used it before. so...i loosened the large bolt on top of my fuel filter and tried to use the pump. here's my question. i turned the pumphandle counter clockwise a little and pushed on the pump. i don't know if it was working. i heard no air hissing. i did see some diesel leaking out of the rim of my screw on fuel filter. the pump handle only traveled about an inch. is that correct or did i not get it open enough? i tried locking it by turning it clock wise but go no discernable locking, or stopping of it turning.
what is the normal travel of the the primer pump? does it click when it locks or unlocks? do you think i was actually pumping fuel with it?
the car still doesn't start. i'm hoping i just didn't get the system primed right and that i don't have a failed injection pump. does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,

Dale