View Single Post
Old 03-30-2006, 02:36 PM

Angry VCV, SwitchOver Valve, K1, K2...i got a multi-problems transmission

o.k. if you are ready for this, here we go:

My car is a wonderful Mercedes1983 240D automatic Gold/Palomino Leather(132k). i'm very proud of it. It is pretty straigh...and strong.
AT first, my car experienced high rpm shifting from 2-3 and 3-4.

I went to my mechanics and he returned me my car with a slipping shifting (at full throttle) from 2-3 and 3-4 with almost no horse power and it shifted too soon 2-3 and 3-4.

I went to a second mechanic then he changed a broken switchover Valve, changed the transmission oil and filter and went to a road test. Same thing. He was not able to adjust the transmission modulator.

i bought a Mytivac, park the car on the street in full sun(It's still cold here in Montreal) and did the pressure test and here are the numbers:
(this is the vacuum diagram: http://home.comcast.net/~phantoms/va..._240d_auto.jpg )
1-Vacuum from the pump: 25``
2-Vacuum before the green Surge damper: 17.5``
3-Vacuum after the green Surge damper: 17``
4-Vacuum at the exit of the vacuum control valve (at idle): 0
yes... 0

Now my question is: do i take the vacuum correctly?
if i well understand, there is a line(with the green Surge damper) bringing vacuum at the top of the vacuum control switch then going out by the side of the valve(near the adjustment bolt) going to the switchover valve then to the transmission. I did plug the mityvac near the adjustment bolt. Am i right?
So can i fix the valve??? If i try to adjust it (with the bolt) what are the effect i mean if i turn clockwise?
On the other hand, should i change it?

After that, i disconnect the vacuum line going down to the modulator, and went to a road test to see what change it makes.. Nothing change.
The problem is that the less vacuum (or zero in my case) to the modulator on the transmission, the harder the shifts would be, and I should have no slipping.
So there is another problem here. TheDon toll me about the K2 to fix my 3-4 slipping problem, what about the K1 for the 2-3 problem?

Thanks again...
KarL