View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanyel
Diagnostics uber alles is as silly as the opposite. Throwing parts at a problem is very often a viable solution - if the part is old, the replacement cheap, easy to replace yourself, and a possible solution. A shop can't really do it - but for a DIYer it's often the way to go, especially if the part costs $5 or $10 or $25, etc. and you plan to keep the car for a while. Do it for a few years, at a cost of no more than a few hundred dollars, and you will have a very strong reliable car. It's the pure extremes that get silly - diagnostics all the time, or throwing parts all the time. There is nothing worse than paying a shop for inconclusive diagnostics and then throwing parts at the problem, which happens more often than you think - as evidenced by threads on this forum. This would be different if diagnostics were an exact science but it isn't - far from it.
Exactly! I get offended when a shop throws parts at a problem because they are supposed to have the knowledge and tools to "correctly" solve the problem. However in the driveway when I have read on the message boards that about 10 people have had the same problem and 8 people's problem was solved by repalcing part X. Its likely that part X will solve my issue and save me some time. Even if the part does not solve the problem the new part is likely not to fail and buy some additional reliability.