View Single Post
Old 06-12-2006, 09:25 AM

DIY: Steering wheel removal, Access stalks, Correct loose stalks

The turn signal/cruise control stalks were loose on my 1999 E300d and would rotate every time I used the turn signal. Sleepwalker pointed out that the problematic part was the collar around the steering column where a machine screw had loosened.

Diagram:

I ended up removing the air bag, steering wheel and various other components including the cruise control and turn signal stalks.

Two tools are needed: A 10mm hex driver and the 3” long T30 Torx driver. I obtained each of them for less than $4. My local auto parts store (or Sears) had the hex driver and I found a guy on eBay (in FL) that had the TORX bit.

Lisle 33920 is a brake caliper tool for some GM vehicles and not to be confused with a 3/8” hex tool.

Use these two threads for additional reference and detail:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/showthread.php?p=408731 http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110340

(I’ll note that some of my components are different compared to the parts shown in these other two threads. However, I believe the procedure is virtually identical regardless of model year.)

Details:

Note: Most will suggest disconnecting the battery as your first step since you will be working with the airbag. I did not. Proceed with caution.

Steering wheel needs to be fully extended (out) prior to starting permitting access to the two airbag retaining screws on the rear side of the steering wheel.

Arrows pointing to the TORX screws:

Airbag is released by pulling yellow connector straight off - - there are no tabs that need to be released. Remove the two clips shown below:

As the others have noted, the 10mm bolt holding the steering wheel is extremely difficult to remove:

I am using this long breaker to remove the 10mm bolt:

Bolt removed, it appeared to have LocTite on it:

You need to mark the spline and the hub which will permit you to restore the proper position when you re-install the steering wheel. Mine already had indications on it.