View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond~
oh, i think i get it. we as MB owners get riled up when someone speaks ill of
"our" car. and, this being an MB board, should be a happy watering hole where
we come to trade info about how to fix them.

but there is also a part of me that thinks that a luxury automobile with a big,
marquee name such as an MB should have proportionally, fewer complaints....
not the same or more than others.

at one time MBs were held in high esteem. so i think of how Lexus or Acura
would be had they (or we as owners) encountered similar flaws with electronics,
reliability etc. we'd be sure people knew about these problems. accordingly,
the Lexus/Acura names would be tarnished.

but for MB, the decades of great and reliable cars seems to be attracting the
client base....not recent track record.
In answer to all you comments:

1. I would expect more complaints or more maintenance on a luxury car compared to say a Neon, because there are more features to fail. This is no excuse, however, for cutting corners and building a POS using Detroit design and unloading it on buyers who have come to respect the marquee after years of top quality German cars.

2. I agree that Lexus would have a tarnished name as well if they had simular problems, which makes this a moot point, because they don't have the same problems as MB. I wonder why that is. Could Lexus be a better engineered and better quality controlled product?

3. I also agree that MB has attracted a following by building a fine car that was out of the reach of Joe Lunch Bucket (me included). Those who couldn't afford one were envoius of those who could. That all changed in 1984 when Mb introduced the first cheap class. That was the W201 190E. It has been down hill since. The cheap class is not a real MB. It is a wanna be designed to sell thousands of units to the proletariat. Just the other day I was driving a 2000 C230K for the day, and I couldn't help thinking I was in a little go kart. It is so cramped. I'll bet there is more room in a Camry for less money.

Sorry I never even read the article on ebay, but if I had to be a professional mechanic again, I'd apply for a job at Lexus. Toyota is now the largest auto mfg in the world , and there are jokes about them buying GM.