View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 01:35 PM

Hi. Thought you may be interested in / able to lend advice on my ongoing problem: an intermittent ABS light in my '97 C280:

Action 1: Two weeks ago I had a MBZ mechanic replace the brake switch. Actually, twice. First one was faulty! It got stuck in the "on" position. Drove it like that for 30 miles or more.

Result: Although the ABS is off when I start the car, it will comes back on a few miles later. It's not a repeatable problem, but sometimes it comes on after a stop sign/right or left turn.

Action 2: Last week I had the error codes read by the same MBZ mechanic:
- ABS: "C-1200 stop switch"
- Engine: "P1584 stop switch"

What? It's a new swtich in there!? The mechanic checked the switch and said it's working fine. Note: Since the first stop switch had been stuck "on" for a while, I changed all the brake light bulbs because of the excessive heat (one was black inside). Just a precaution in case a bad bulb can have an effect on the ABS system (a stretch, I know).

Result: Drove it all week ... same problem exactly. Looks good for a while, then it comes on. Typically while going slow and turning sharply. IS THIS A CLUE?

Action 3: Today, I changed both front ABS wheel speed sensors.

Result: Oddly, the light was on when I started the car this time. It went out after about 100 yards of driving. Then, as usual, a few miles later, while navigating the neighborhood streets, it back came on.

The question: Should I have reset the system when I changed the sensors? Do I keep moving, changing the REAR sensor next?

Thanks for any advice.