View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 05:12 PM
1980 300CD

New to me 1980 300CD - working out the kinks.

So I'm driving along- AC blowing on high- radio on. Slowly the fan slows and - the radio stops working and i get no horn- no directionals- no power to any accessory. Pull over- car still running and idling well- lift the hood and 1st thing I notice that the windsheild wiper fluid jug was not put back into the holder by me and was leaning against the glow plug relay (no fluid leaking on it)- I put it back and press on the connectors at the glow plug relay and my wife yells from the car that the radio came back on- she checks the directionals- OK- and turns AC back on- we have full power again. So we're off. Weird. 10 minutes later- same thing. AC starts to blow slowly- radio goes off- no directionals- headlights etc. Pull over again- look at the battery- alternator- glow plug relay- nothing blatently wrong- shut the car off (stupid). Try to restart- dead battery.

I get a jump and bring it to Enrique at MB Motors in Tarzana, CA. I tell him what led up to this and he says it has nothing to do with glow plug relay- tests my battery - alternator - the standard charging system tests. He finds about 12.5 at battery with car at idle all acccessories off. Says my alt. is bad- battery is OK-sends me to his electric guy to upgrade to 80 amp Alt. I go over to his shop and he opens the hood and hooks up a voltmeter while the car is running- not sure what numbers he got- then he unplugs one of the connectors at the glow plug relay- the number on the meter goes up. So he shakes his head and says " You have 2 problems- your alternator is no good- and your glow plug relay is staying on- the combo is draining your battery" So- we install new alternator and I drive away with the connector to the glow plug relay disconnected. This morning I connect glow plug relay- start car- disconnect glow plug relay- drive car with radio and AC- no problems. So I guess it's time the replace the GP Relay. Has anyone had an experience similar- is there anything I can test to make sure it's that and not something else? It's an expensive parts I see prices from 200- 350. So just want to see what the collective experience is with this first. Thanks