View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006, 04:38 PM

Rust = bad

Nathan,

This is just my two cents worth; I'm sure many more knowledgeable (and mechanically inclined) members will jump in soon. If I were you, I would hunt until I found one without rust. If the jack-points and floor-boards are at all compromised, I wouldn't think the car would be worth much. Your post says "noticable body rust" so maybe there just a couple of spots behind the wheel-wells...but seeing as how there quite of few of these cars out on the road still, I'd try to find one without body cancer. Unless you're a whiz at body work, or want something to learn on, it's just going to get worse, and it's a pain to repair, assuming that it can be fixed... I personally wouldn't pay any more than $1500 for one with noticable rust, even if the rest of the car was in primo condition with all accessories working. As with any used car, maintenance records are a plus; these motors will last well past 200k with proper maintenance, but without it, it could well be on its last leg. Good luck with your search--a pre-purchase inspection is a GREAT idea, so you're on the right track there...

--Chris
'85 Mercedes 300SD (smoke silver/burgundy)
'79 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

'05 Toyota Camry (because always running is nice)

'85 Mercedes 300D sold back to orig. owner 8-1-06
'84 Volvo 264GL Diesel, owned 2000-2013