View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 11:03 PM

I went out and looked at the whole thing again, and I am pretty sure that if the chain is out, it's only by a tooth or two. I am basing this on the fact that the crank pulley is definitely almost in the same exact position it was before taking the old chain off with the cam being at TDC both before and now. So, that means that I have been driving it like this for a while, and probably so have the previous 4 owners because I have their service records, and none make mention of the head being off (and I know it was off at some point because they wore off a bunch of aluminum above the bolts). So now I need to know how to get it back to where it's supposed to be, in layman's terms preferably. And the big question is if I get both the cam and the crank to TDC, what consequence will this have on the injection timing? I do know that the IP was replaced with a used one a few years ago, because it is noted in one of the service records. So I would imagine they timed it according to the current situation of the cam and crank being off kilter. Also, what kind of wear could have running it like this have done to the engine?
87 300D - Running on Veggie oil; 260,000 plus miles; Original #14 head