View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmana View Post
Ok, I've got to get this car put back together today, so I need to know how to get everything lined up properly. If I turn it over so the crank is at TDC, and take out the tensioner, then all I need to do is get the cam at TDC right? And from what I've been reading, the IP timing can't really get "off", unless it skipped a tooth on the sprocket, but it doesn't seem like that's a possibility. SO, I guess all I need to figure out is how to get the cam back on TDC the proper way. Can anyone guide me through this? Also, I turned the engine over 2 more times to make sure that it really is off as much as it was last night, and it still is. With the stamped line on the cam gear matched up to the line stamped on the tower, it is at about 40 which is before TDC.
If you are positive of the crank position, and you are positive that the cam is not aligned with the crank, the first thing to do is to set the crank at zero.

Then, check the cam marks. Most likely they will not be aligned. If they are close to 180 degrees apart, then turn the crankshaft one full turn back to 0 degrees. They should be within 20 degrees of each other. If they are not within 20 degrees, do not continue with this procedure. Remove the tensioner and see if you can get enough slack in the chain to "roll" it over the teeth of the camshaft. You'll need to bunch it upward in one place and, effectively gain one tooth by moving the bunch in a circle around the top of the sprocket. I'm not sure if there is sufficient slack to do this, but, it's preferable to removing the sprocket.

If you're not successful, then you need to remove the cam sprocket. Be careful with this. It also presents more possibilites for FUBAR. Understand the following carefully:

1) The camshaft wants to slide rearward. The sprocket prevents this. So, you should definitely block the cam behind #6 to prevent this from occurring.

2) The sprocket has a thrust washer sitting right behind it and it has a Woodruff key that is pressed into the camshaft. Both of these items may desire to go into the abyss. Your job, Jmana, should you decide to accept it, is to prevent that from happening.

Good luck Jmana. If you are caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions.