View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonOne View Post
"On my '88 300CE, at just 10 years old there were 3 separate gaskets, transmission and upper and lower oil gaskets, that cost $500, and $600 for the upper and lower to fix. That's $1100 in case you don't have a calculator. The cost of the actual gasket is about $10 to MB, $20 to the consumer."
Yes, Its called labor costs. I paid about the same to have my 1988 Volvo 240's transmission resealed. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands or have a shop with a full lift there's no getting around some labor costs.

Toyota's simply end up in the junkyard or need a transmission rebuild before their gaskets deteriorate. Toyota just like Mercedes Benz has to deal with the same physical properties of rubber.

I used to drive Japanese. I just got tired of throwing away my cars when they reached 200K. If your looking for a car that all you do is put gas in it and buy another one in 10 years Japanese is the way to go. If you look at all the costs involved though your paying more money in the long run and driving a cheaply made car. If you like having a new shiny piece of plastic in your driveway thats really the way to go.