View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 05:54 PM

love the MB, hate the MB

I've owned my 83 300SD for a month now (244k, bought it with 242k)

Up on the hwy yesterday, 50mi from home, notice batt light on and temp gauge pinned in the red. I have enough experience to know I broke a fan belt. Coast to the shoulder. Hate the MB.

On the side of the road with flashers on, notice that the water pump/alt belt utilizes the inside pulley...need to remove the other two belts to get the new one on, (once I get one). Hate the MB.

Limp off the exit once the motor cooled enough to do a short run, pull over, begin to loosen all the ac compressor bolts, but compressor won't budge. Can't move it enough to get the belt off. Hate the MB.

Notice the jackscrew designed to easily tighten and loosen the ac comp. Love the MB.

Loosen the PS pump, notice the jackscrew sooner on this one. Love the MB.

Notice that the ac belt is too small, and PS pump belt is too big for either to be used as substitute for water pump belt. Hate the MB.

Notice the water pump/alt pulleys are double pulleys for redundancy (so you don't get caught on the hwy with broken belt). Love the MB.

Family picks me up and we find an auto parts store open at 7pm on Sunday, and it has ALL the belts in stock. Replace them all. Love the MB.

I will say it's very nice to have a car that's designed to be worked on.

Mark in MA