Thread: Ford diesel?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 10:23 AM
I like OM603's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiodieselLuke View Post
Due to what I would consider to be misinformation , go to thedieselstop.com , these are the guys with the most experience on this matter . The IDI engines are generally considered to be far more reliable than their electronic counterparts . I say check the coolant for additive , (you can buy test strips) , if it has it and appears to have been maintained , go for it . Anything that hasn't been maintained can be ruined rather quickly . Early cummins are great engines , unfortunately the truck around them really didn't come around until a few years ago (arguably, but , all the auto's are weak).
TDS is a great place for information. I do agree the IDI engine are more reliable than the HEUI PSDs of later years. But the 94 Turbo IDIs were quite troublesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorebilly View Post
G'mornin' Folks,

As someone stated earlier in this thread.......there was/is a cavitation problem involving some of Ford's diesels during this era.....and I don't remember which ones, exactly.......however, as I remember, Ford's Diesels required the use of a specific coolant/antifreeze...or the warranty would be voided....at issue was....as the engine ran, the internal vibrations caused cavitation on one side of the cylinder liners....looks like little pinholes on the outside of the liner....and eventually these pinholes would continue to form and eventually hole the liner.....thus allowing coolant to enter the combustion chamber and exhaust to enter the coolant.....there is a tool set, Snap-On has one....that will allow you to check your coolant for exhaust gasses......if you know "for certain" that the proper coolant has been used during the lifetime of this vehicle.....go for it....you should be able to locate more info on this problem at your local Ford dealership......

btw....this is a relatively common problem on diesel engines....to the point that it is well covered in Marine Engineering schools......and the Germans use "Soluable Oil" (makes coolant look like chocolate milk) as a corrosion inhibitor on their larger diesel engines.....

SB
Caviation affected all 83+ Diesels last time I read the TSB Ford issued.
You could buy the additive and test strips from the dealer, or get them from the Navistar/International Dealer.
11 GT500