View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Registered Voter

I had a hard time removing the fuel screen the first time I did it with mine because I think some jacka$$ over-torqued the screen and another jacka$$ tried taking it off probably with channel locks or some Amish wrench and wasn't able to take it off and complete the job, so I ended up doing the pain of labor of their half-a$$ job. Anyway to make the story short, after all the cussing, chiseling and hammering, I finally turned and loosen it off the tank and was able to take it off.

What I did, to make the job easier the next time I'm going change it, is this:

1. By putting the new fuel screen on a vise, I installed the fuel hose with the metal fitting to the fuel screen. I put some locktite/thread-lock on the metal fitting before installing it.

2. Then install the fuel screen with the fuel hose installed, and tighten it just enough through the metal fitting by using the approriate sized wrench (I don't remember the exact size mm wrench) Be sure that the O-ring is in place.

3. So the next time I'm going to do it again, after draining the diesel out, I dont have to use that big sized socket to remove the fuel screen. I can easily loosen the fuel screen by using the proper size mm wrench through the metal fitting of the fuel hose.

The only down-side of this trick is, you'll need to change the fuel hose everytime you change the fuel screen, which isn't that bad actually.