View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 03:02 AM
Technical Apprentice

'84 300CD Vacuum Transmission Problem - Slips in 1st

Greetings,

I am troubleshooting my '84 300CD. I have been experiencing vacuum problems with the brakes, door locks, engine shut-off, and egr valve. The transmission started slipping this week, prompting me to fix the vacuum problems (as if the brakes and shut-off weren't enough). The transmission started slipping in 1st gear, mostly when starting from stop. It also slips uphill very occasionally. The slipping in 1st gear is pretty bad. I was unable to get it up on the ramps today. Other gears seem fine, and it has always shifted smoothly.

I have currently fixed the brakes and engine shut-off by removing the door locks and egr from the vacuum system (these two circuits had gross leaks).

After reading this thread, I found the following:
1. Vacuum Pump creates ~22 mmHg
2. Door Lock Circuit has leaks (troubleshoot later)
3. EGR vacuum valve leaks (troubleshoot later)
4. All other lines hold vacuum
5. Tested Vacuum after the VCV on the IP (towards the tranny) 15mmHg at idle.
6. When increasing the throttle, vacuum sits around 10mmHg and doesnt drop below 10------or--------
7. When really punching the throttle, vacuum drops quickly to zero.
8. The irratic difference in vacuum measured at the Tranny Vacuum Line leads me to believe the Vacuum Control Valve is not funtioning properly.
9. When I removed the vacuum from the tranny altogether, she still slipped in first, no real change.

Should I start adjusting/checking/relacing the VCV?

Is it time to start suspecting internal tranny mechanical problems??

Thanks for your help,

Brandon
'82 VW Vanagon Diesel (Marigold), 1.9l Turbo Engine 11K, Vegetable Oil Vehicle - Owned 2 Months - Not Running