View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 07:45 PM

Question 1992 500E - misses badly after warm-up/DM codes

PLEASE HELP

I have a 1992 500E that was running perfectly and then one day it started to miss at idle after the engine warmed-up. When cold it does not miss. It only happened once or twice in a day then became progressively worse over the next few weeks. As the engine gets warmer, it misses more consistently and will miss all the way to 2000 rpm, over 2000 it goes away, but the car is not driveable with this condition.

I have replaced the caps, rotors, plug wires, plugs, air filters, fuel filter etc.

I intitally pulled the following codes from the Diagnostic Module LED.

Code 3 - Lamda control out of range - Bank 1- Air, fuel metering or ignition problem.

Code 6 - Idle speed faulty.

I reset the codes and I installed a new O2 sensor. The problems did not go away and now I get Codes 3 and 6, and
Code 18 - Adjustable camshaft timeing solenoid circuit open or circuit short - Bank 1.

Also, when checking the codes, (via the DM module), when I get Code 6 the Electronic Throttle Actuator will start buzzing and seeking, it sounds as though it is trying to re-learn and you can hear it buzz, click, change tone the go back to the original buzzing. It goes through one cycle, and then continues to buzz with the ignition on and does not stop from this steady state buzz.

I have not checked the wiring harness yet, the car has 130K miles, although the ground wires coming out of the harness look fine. I did smell recently a smell like hot wiring though.

As far as the Lamda, O2 sensor goes, the chart I have for Code 3 says to check the LH-SFI module, and I do not have an adaptor to use my homemade code reader with the 38 pin connector.

Any logical diagnostic steps and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Obviously I will check the wiring harness.

I was thinking O2 sensor from the beginning as the idle miss starts as the engine warms up and gets worse as it is at full operation temp. Although the new sensor did not eliminate the problem and the it seems to center around the camshaft timing solenoid circuit and Bank 1. Is Bank 1 the left cylinder bank?

Thank any and all of you for suggestions and help.

500Espeed